This training course provides an overview of the key management skills required for people who are new management.
The challenge of managing other people is both exciting and demanding. Managers play a vital role in making sure that the team performs. You must have good people skills as well as an understanding of the technical aspects of the work.
This popular practical program helps new or recent managers develop people skills and management skills to lead, motivate and secure good performance from the team.
It helps you plan and organise the work of you and your team. It helps you look at leadership styles that will suit your situation and understand the motivation of people at work. It gives practical advice on delegating, running effective team meetings, being assertive, resolving conflicts, coaching and communicating. The course also helps you plan your future development as a manager.
Key learning content
- Moving into a manager role and key responsibilities of a manager
- Expectations of your performance – your own manager, your team, your peers, your organisation and other stakeholders
- What makes a successful manager?
- Apply the leadership mindset and think strategically
- The key priorities for a new manager – the first 90 days
- Enhance the team culture and motivate the team
- Apply principles of emotional intelligence when working with people
- Apply appropriate and assertive leadership styles for the situations you face and the types of people you lead
- Plan and prioritise your time effectively
- Set KPIs
- Develop work plans
- Develop processes and procedures to optimise leverage in the way work is carried out
- Delegate work to your reportees
- Monitor delegated work performance
- Provide feedback to continually improve performance of your team
- Communicate and use feedback with the team, your manager and people in other areas of your organisation
- Run effective meetings
- Solve problems and issues that may arise
- Manage and reduce conflict
- Coach team members to raise performance levels
- Continuously improve your leadership and management capabilities
This course is available as:
Professional course: 1 -2 days face to face training course with interactive discussion, examples, case studies and role plays to demonstrate and apply principles
Essential Session: 1.5 hour training course providing a concise overview of key principles involved
Fast Track: 3 hour training courses that provides an overview with discussion, examples and case studies of principles and their application
Change Maker: 6 week training program combining course with application in the workplace and review session
Open learning: learners are sent electronic copy of materials to complete course in their own time
Coaching: coaching provided in blocks of 30 minutes face to face, via phone, Skype or email
Blended course: combination of face to face training, online learning and / or coaching
Benefits to the learner
- Learn how to manage your team to achieve goals
- Build positive relationships with team members
- Build team cohesion
- Delegate effectively
- Manage different personalities within a team
Benefits to the organisation
- Provide team members with the skills they need to manage a team
- Improve performance and productivity of teams with sound management
- Remove barriers to allocation and completion of work
There is no formal assessment available for this course, however participants can complete a 6 week Change Maker Action Program.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for anyone working in or moving into a manager role.
Reading a course overview is often not enough to make a decision about whether that course is suitable for you, your team or organisation.
Here at FMI we have a wealth of knowledge and experience in management and leadership which we are happy to share with you. If you would like to chat about your particular needs we can advise you on suitable learning and development solutions for you, even if it includes services that we do not currently offer.
If you are interested in delivery for onsite training for a group in your organisations, we can vary or design the course to suit your specific needs and organisational objectives.
We also specialise in designing training courses, coaching programs and assessment tools, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for, be sure to ask us if we can put it together for you.