This course is designed to build the foundation skills for new or emerging supervisors and team leaders.
Leadership is about guiding a team to meet performance targets. People moving into a supervisor or team leader role must develop the skills to lead and motivate their team. They must plan and communicate to assign and delegate work to staff and monitor their performance. They may also be required to develop team members through coaching to ensure that they can complete the tasks that have been assigned to them. This course provides a good overview of the role of the new supervisor or team leader and provides an opportunity for participants to reflect on and improve leadership capability.
- Your targets for this module
- How this program works and what support you will have
- What makes a successful supervisor?
- Avoid common misperceptions and pitfalls of a new supervisor
- You as a supervisor
- Your leadership role and managing other people
- Leadership and management – the differences
- The side of management you don’t see
- Your responsibilities, accountabilities and duty of care
- Listen and learn – don’t try to do things too soon
The first 6 weeks as a new leader
- Make the transition from a team member to a team leader
- What should I do in the first 6 weeks?
- Clarify your role
- Set and review priorities and objectives with your manager
- Identify team members’ roles and capabilities
- Plan for results
- Identify gaps in your knowledge or skills and plan how to bridge the gaps
- Identify areas for improvement in team operations
- Lead by example and respect team members
- Set clear expectations for your team members in a respectful way
- Explain why you want something as well as what you want
- Communication styles – being assertive
- Communicate by email, phone or in person?
- How to delegate successfully
- Monitor and manage performance
Lead the team
- Understand your leadership style and DISC profile
- Motivate, encourage and energise a team
- Establish team goals, roles and responsibilities
- Manage and monitor team performance
- Tips on holding successful meetings
Difficult situations you may face
- Challenges to your authority
- What do I do if someone in my team also applied for the supervisor role?
- How to manage conflict
- Deal with different personalities in your team and DISC profiles
- Manage stress
- Hold difficult conversations
- When to seek help with a difficult situation
Future areas for your development
- Future areas for development as a supervisor
- Develop a continuous improvement mindset
Review and application
- Your action plan for improved performance
Key learning content
This course is available as:
Professional course: 1 day face to face training course with interactive discussion, examples, case studies and role plays to demonstrate and apply principles
Essential Session: 1.5 hour training course providing a concise overview of key principles involved
Fast Track: 3 hour training courses that provides an overview with discussion, examples and case studies of principles and their application
Change Maker: 6 week training program combining course with application in the workplace and review session
Open learning: learners are sent electronic copy of materials to complete course in their own time
Coaching: coaching provided in blocks of 30 minutes face to face, via phone, Skype or email
Blended course: combination of face to face training, online learning and / or coaching
Benefits to the learner
- Assign and supervise work tasks
- Develop confidence for taking on new a new role as a supervisor
- Gain respect from the team with effective supervisory skills
Benefits to the organisation
- Create effective teams
- Ensure employees work aligns with organisational objectives
- Contributes to the performance management of staff
- Create safer work environments
There is no formal assessment available for this course, however participants can complete a 6 week Change Maker Action Program.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for anyone working in or moving into a supervisor or team leader role.
Reading a course overview is often not enough to make a decision about whether that course is suitable for you, your team or organisation.
Here at FMI we have a wealth of knowledge and experience in management and leadership which we are happy to share with you. If you would like to chat about your particular needs we can advise you on suitable learning and development solutions for you, even if it includes services that we do not currently offer.
If you are interested in delivery for onsite training for a group in your organisations, we can vary or design the course to suit your specific needs and organisational objectives.
We also specialise in designing training courses, coaching programs and assessment tools, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for, be sure to ask us if we can put it together for you.