This course is designed specifically for people who are new or transitioning into a supervisor or team leader role.
People transitioning into a supervisor or team leader role often ask “How do I start?” This course provides a practical approach on what to do and how to behave as new supervisors and team leaders settle into their leadership role. This is often a challenging time for supervisors and managers and it is important to begin with knowledge and guidance on the practical ways to carry out their role professionally.
- You as a supervisor:
- Your leadership role and managing other people
- Leadership and management – the differences
- The side of management you don’t see
- Your responsibilities, accountabilities and duty of care
- Listen and learn – don’t try to do things too soon
The first 90 days as a new leader
- Make the transition from a team member to a team leader
- What should I do first in my new role?
- Clarify your role
- Set and review priorities and objectives with your manager
- Identify team members’ roles and capabilities
- Plan for results
- Identify gaps in your knowledge or skills and plan how to bridge the gaps
- Identify areas for improvement in team operations
- Lead by example and respect team members
- Set clear expectations for your team members in a respectful way
- Explain why you want something done as well as what you want done
- Communication styles – being assertive.
- Delegate successfully and coach people
- Monitor and manage performance
Lead the team
- Understand your leadership style
- Motivate, encourage and energise a team
- Establish team goals, roles and responsibilities
- Manage and monitor team performance
- Tips to lead successful meetings
Challenges for new leaders
- Challenges to your authority
- How to manage conflict
- Deal with different personalities in your team
- Manage stress
- Hold difficult conversations
- Create effective supervisors and team leaders who are confident and effective
- Provide new supervisors and team leaders with an overall approach to manage and lead others in a professional way
- Assist new team leaders/supervisors to understand the need to align work with organisational objectives
- 2 day In house course (short course or module in a training program) or
- 3 – 6 session coaching program
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for anyone working in or moving into a supervisor or team leader role.