This course is designed specifically for people who are new supervisors or new team leaders.
People transitioning into a supervisor or team leader role often ask “How do I start?” This course provides a practical approach on what to do and how to behave as new supervisors and team leaders settle into their leadership role. This is often a challenging time for supervisors and managers and it is important to begin with knowledge and guidance on the practical ways to carry out their role professionally.
Key learning content
- You as a supervisor:
- Your leadership role and managing other people
- Leadership and management – the differences
- The side of management you don’t see
- Your responsibilities, accountabilities and duty of care
- Listen and learn – don’t try to do things too soon
The first 90 days as a new leader
- Make the transition from a team member to a team leader
- What should I do first in my new role?
- Clarify your role
- Set and review priorities and objectives with your manager
- Identify team members’ roles and capabilities
- Plan for results
- Identify gaps in your knowledge or skills and plan how to bridge the gaps
- Identify areas for improvement in team operations
- Lead by example and respect team members
- Set clear expectations for your team members in a respectful way
- Explain why you want something done as well as what you want done
- Communication styles – being assertive.
- Delegate successfully and coach people
- Monitor and manage performance
Lead the team
- Understand your leadership style
- Motivate, encourage and energise a team
- Establish team goals, roles and responsibilities
- Manage and monitor team performance
- Tips to lead successful meetings
Challenges for new leaders
- Challenges to your authority
- How to manage conflict
- Deal with different personalities in your team
- Manage stress
- Hold difficult conversations
How this course drives results
- Create effective supervisors and team leaders who are confident and effective
- Provide new supervisors and team leaders with an overall approach to manage and lead others in a professional way
- Assist new team leaders/supervisors to understand the need to align work with organisational objectives
- 2 day In house course (short course or module in a training program) or
- 3 – 6 session coaching program
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for anyone working in or moving into a supervisor or team leader role.
Send us an enquiry
Reading an overview is often not enough to make a decision about whether that course or program is suitable for you, your team or organisation. Please contact us to discuss your specific challenges, development needs and strategic initiatives. We can advise you on suitable learning and development solutions, even if it includes courses, programs or services not included in our catalogue.