This course covers practical management skills such as time management, communication, decision making, delegation and managing people and change.
The challenge of leading and managing other people is both exciting and demanding. Leaders and managers (both new and experienced) play a vital role in making sure that the team performs. They need good team and people management skills as well as a thorough understanding of the technical aspects of their work. They need to plan and organise work and time well, often in turbulent rapidly changing environments. Leaders and managers must make effective work decisions using a range of strategies and decision making tools. They also need to lead teams through change and continually improve the way work is carried out.
Key learning content
Be a leader
- Be a leader in your organisation
- Apply the values of your organisation as a leader
- Develop the culture of your team
- Motivate your team
- Use emotional intelligence as a leader
Fundamentals of people management
- Apply people skills
- Monitor performance
- Give performance feedback
- Resolve conflict and difficult situations
Manage work and time
- Plan and organise work
- Identify priorities
- Manage work and time in a turbulent environment
- Balance work and life and manage stress
- Manage Interruptions
Make effective work decisions
- Define decisions to be made and identify the context and stakeholders
- Use decision making tools
- Establish objectives and weigh “musts” and “wants”
- Generate options
- Test options against objectives
- Make, document and review decisions
Manage people through change and improvements
- The leader’s role in continuous improvement
- Apply the psychology of change
- Overcome resistance to change
- Apply emotional intelligence to change
- Develop communication strategies for change
This course is available as:
Professional course: 1 -2 days face to face training course with interactive discussion, examples, case studies and role plays to demonstrate and apply principles
Essential Session: 1.5 hour training course providing a concise overview of key principles involved
Fast Track: 3 hour training courses that provides an overview with discussion, examples and case studies of principles and their application
Change Maker: 6 week training program combining course with application in the workplace and review session
Open learning: learners are sent electronic copy of materials to complete course in their own time
Coaching: coaching provided in blocks of 30 minutes face to face, via phone, Skype or email
Blended course: combination of face to face training, online learning and / or coaching
Benefits to the learner
- Learn how to manage your team to achieve goals
- Build positive relationships with team members
- Build team cohesion
- Delegate effectively
- Manage different personalities within a team
Benefits to the organisation
- Provide team members with the skills they need to manage a team
- Improve performance and productivity of teams with sound management
- Remove barriers to allocation and completion of work
There is no formal assessment available for this course, however participants can complete a 6 week Change Maker Action Program.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is suitable for anyone working in or moving into a management, supervisor or team leader role.
Reading a course overview is often not enough to make a decision about whether that course is suitable for you, your team or organisation.
Here at FMI we have a wealth of knowledge and experience in management and leadership which we are happy to share with you. If you would like to chat about your particular needs we can advise you on suitable learning and development solutions for you, even if it includes services that we do not currently offer.
If you are interested in delivery for onsite training for a group in your organisations, we can vary or design the course to suit your specific needs and organisational objectives.
We also specialise in designing training courses, coaching programs and assessment tools, so if you can’t find what you’re looking for, be sure to ask us if we can put it together for you.